Monday, August 10, 2009

Conrad Dodl

I was doing a Google search looking for something else, and came across an obituary for Conrad Dodl. Apparently he was suffering from Alzheimer's and succumbed about two weeks ago. The obituary mentioned that he survived the shoot-down of the McCutcheon plane and received a Purple Heart for injuries received. He probably received a DFC and an Airman's Medal also for his service but that is not mentioned. I don't believe that I ever met Conrad at any of the reunions, but I note his passing with respect.

4 comments:

  1. I am a friend of R. Conrad Dodl and his family. I was deeply saddened by his passing and attended his funeral. I grew up with his sons, Rudy and Billy. Conrad was a quiet and easy going man and he will be missed. I was never aware of his military service until I saw his obituary. He never spoke of his war time experiences, much like many veterans.

    My dad and Conrad were close friends and it's interesting to note that my dad held a similar position as a top turret gunner on B-24's in the USAAF.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Bob. The McCutcheon plane's shooting and crash was one of the most dramatic incidents in VPB-118's history. My father told me about it when I was very small. I'm glad that you got to know Conrad and his family. We appreciate your dad's service also. Please tell Rudy and Billy that if they have any VPB-118 photos that they would want to contribute scans of, I would love to share them with folks via the website.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll ask Billy when I see him again. Unfortunately Rudy preceded Conrad in death 27 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Bob. Please relay my sympathy to Billy on the loss of his Dad and untimely loss of his brother.

    ReplyDelete