Saturday, March 19, 2011

"China Ghost"

I just opened the box that came in the mail and took out my copy of China Ghost by Robert L. Perrenot, purchased on eBay last week. I haven't read this book yet, obviously, but it looks like a serious attempt to write a historical novel about what it was like to be an airman in a VPB squadron in WWII. I'll read it and give my opinion after I finish. It looks promising.

This book is copyright 2008, the year of Mr. Perrenot's death. On the last page, it says "LaVerne, TN USA 15 March 2011". I have a paperback version; it seems like maybe the hardback version came out in 2008.

[Update on 11/11/2011:]
I finished reading this a while ago. I liked the first part of the book quite a lot because it seemed like a pretty good tale of life in the U.S. Navy circa 1940's. It featured one fictitious guy's experiences getting into a patrol bomber squadron and flying off with his squadron into the theater of combat. This story squares pretty well with what I've read and stories that guys from VPB-118 have told. Without giving away the plot of the book, the second half (in my opinion) diverges from the typical experience of most PB4Y-2 crews and becomes a different kind of adventure yarn, as if flying missions in a PB4Y-2 was not interesting or exciting enough. So I have to say the last part of the book was a disappointment. That said, it WAS written by a PB4Y-2 veteran and is of interest as such. I guess if I was to rate it purely on literary/entertainment value, I would give it a two out of a scale of four while wishing it rated more.

No comments:

Post a Comment